|AOL Users Guide to Downloading Netscape Navigator |
Downloading the Netscape set up program:
- Log in to AOL. On the toolbar at the top of the AOL window, click on the button that says "Keyword" - it should be the farthest one on the right.
- In the window that pops up, enter "Netscape" as your keyword.
- Now you should be at the Netscape downloading window. Follow the simple instructions on how to download Netscape for AOL. Make sure you don't already have a copy of Netscape on your computer or this download won't work!
- The file you download (called setupex.exe) is not Netscape itself, but rather the file you use to set up Netscape on your computer. Follow the instructions below to set up and use Netscape.
Installing Netscape once it is downloaded:
- After you have downloaded the setup file, sign off from AOL.
- Find the file setupex.exe:
- If you are using Windows 95, you can go to the start menu and select "Find..." then "Files or Folders" and then type in "setupex.exe" under location and then click "Find Now." The file should appear in the window and then you can activate the setup by double clicking on the file.
- If you are using a Macintosh, go to the Apple Menu and select "Find." Type in the file name and the file should appear in the window and then you can activate the setup by double clicking on the file.
- Follow the instructions to set up Netscape. This is really easy, because the setup wizard "knows" what kind of setup to install so all you have to do is hit "next" and "ok" and "yes" anytime you are prompted to do so!
- Now you have installed Netscape! You should have a shortcut to the Nescape browser on your Desktop (a little picture of a ships wheel). Follow the next set of instructions to use Netscape through AOL!
Using Netscape through AOL:
- Log back into AOL.
- You now need to minimize the AOL window in order to use Netscape. The minimize button left most button in the top right hand corner, the one that just looks like a little dash or underscore [ _ ]. Clicking on this will reduce the AOL window to a small bar at the bottom of your computer screen.
- You may now double click on the Netscape icon on your desktop to open the Netscape Browser. You are using you AOL connection to access the internet, but you are viewing all the web pages through Netscape!
- To get to Sarah's homepage, type our web address http://www.sarah-young.de in the location bar underneath the toolbar at the top of the browser window. Follow the links, log in as a member, and enjoy it!
back to "FAQ"